The History Department deadline for ALL graduate applications is December 15.
Please note: due to the COVID-19 pandemic the Department of History is waiving the GRE requirement for the 2020-2021 application cycle.
Guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions
- Before you Apply
- Admissions FAQ
- Advice for Writing a Strong Statement of Purpose
- Advice for Asking for Letters of Recommendation
The Application Process
The following materials are required to complete an application to pursue graduate study in history at the University of Alabama. All applications should be made electronically through the University of Alabama’s Graduate School website.
- Application Form: Includes personal information such as name and address and asks you to choose which program you are apply to. NOTE: please go to the Before you Apply page to see whether you are eligible to apply to our PhD program or whether you need to apply to the MA program.
- Transcripts: UA requires one official transcript (digital or hard copy) from each institution that granted the applicant a degree, as well as transcripts of any completed graduate coursework.
- GRE Scores: The Department of History does not require admission test scores (e.g., GRE, Miller Analogies Test).
- Statement of Purpose: This should be a short essay demonstrating writing skills, and the ability to conceive and express ideas. It should also describe your academic and intellectual development, interest in history, and reasons for pursuing an advanced degree in history. The Graduate Committee strongly encourages applicants to seek the advice and guidance of their undergraduate mentor or an undergraduate history professor when preparing their Statement of Purpose.
- Letters of Recommendation: The History department requires three letters of recommendation. Recommendation letters are received electronically, via the Graduate School’s online application portal.
- Writing Sample: A writing sample is required for both MA and PhD students. It could be a seminar paper or chapter from a thesis. It should be attached to the electronic application.
For further information
Write to our interim graduate director: