- PhD, Yale University, 2014
- Britain and its empire in the long eighteenth century
- History of crime and violence
- Comparative legal history
- State formation
- Migration and immigration
- This Unhappy Rebellion: the Global Consequences of the American Revolution (Yale University Press, forthcoming)
- Western Civilization to 1648
- Honors Western Civilization from 1648
- British Empire
Awards and Honors
- Hans Gatzke Prize, Yale University (2014)
- MacMillan Center Dissertation Research Grant (2011)
- Warnock Fellowship (2011)
- Miller Endowed Fellowship in History (2008-9)
- The Conquest of Death: Violence and the Birth of the Modern English State (Yale University Press, 2017).
- “‘Love Ye Therefore the Strangers:’ Foreign Residents and the Criminal Law in Early Modern England, 1670-1750,” Continuity and Change 29 (Dec. 2014): 349-71.
- “From Treason to Homicide: Changing Conceptions of Petty Treason in Early Modern England,” The Journal of Legal History 34 (April 2013): 31-49.