- PhD, Brown University, 2004
- Modern U.S. Cultural History
- War and American Culture
- 20th-Century Social and Political History
- How America Fights: War and Society since 1898 (HY 328)
- American Civilization since 1865 (HY 104)
- US History since 1945 (HY 318)
- Literature of American History since 1865 (HY 602)
- Proseminar in US History since 1877 (HY 607)
Awards and Honors
- Dixie’s Great War, co-edited with John Giggie (Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, forthcoming Fall 2020).
- The Unfinished Nation, co-authored with Alan Brinkley and John Giggie (McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 9th ed., 2018).
- Love and Death in the Great War (New York: Oxford University Press, 2018).
- “Gee!! I Wish I Were a Man: Gender and the Great War,” in Kara Dixon Vuic, ed., The Routledge History of Gender, War, and the U. S. Military(Routledge, 2017): 68-86.
- “Interchange: World War I,” Journal of American History 102 (September 2015): 463-99.
- “Lost in Space: Technology and Turbulence in Futuristic Cinema of the 1950s,” Film and History 40.2 (Fall 2010): 6-27.
- “The Conditional Optimist: Walt Disney’s Postwar Futurism,” The Sixties 2 (December 2009): 227-44.
- The Warrior Image: Soldiers in American Culture from the Second World War to the Vietnam Era (Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina Press, 2008).
- “Rethinking American Press Coverage of the Vietnam War, 1965-1968,” Journalism History 31 (Fall 2005): 150-61.
- “Kilroy is Back: Images of American Soldiers in Korea, 1950-1953,” American Studies 45 (Spring 2004): 103-29.
- “Support Unseen: Rhode Island and the Vietnam War, 1965-1973,” Rhode Island History 60 (Winter 2002): 3-25.