- PhD, Indiana University, 1975
- History Colloquium
- Proseminar in US History To 1877
- Special Problems In Constitutional Law
- Alabama Legal History Seminar
- Forums of Order: the Federal Courts and Business in American History (Greenwich, CT.: JAI Press, 1979).
- Harmony and Dissonance: The Swift and Erie Cases in American Federalism (New York: New York University Press, 1981).
- The Little Rock Crisis: A Constitutional Interpretation (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1984).
- Justice Hugo L. Black and the Dilemma of American Liberalism (Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman, 1990).
- Hugo L. Black and Modern America (Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 1990).
- Regulating Big Business: Antitrust in Great Britain and America, 1880-1990 (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1992).
- Producers versus Capitalists: Constitutional Conflict in Antebellum America (Charlottesville, VA: University Press of Virginia, 1994).
- Democracy and Judicial Independence: A History of Alabama’s Federal Courts (Brooklyn, N.Y.: Carlson, 1995).
- Antitrust and global capitalism, 1930-2004 (New York : Cambridge University Press, 2006).
- Little Rock on Trial Cooper v. Aaron and School Desegregation (Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 2007).
- “Swift and Erie: The Trials of an Ephemeral Landmark Case,” Journal of Supreme Court History 34 (2009): 261-74.
- “Cooper v. Aaron: Incident and Consequence,” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 65 (Spring 2006): 1-6.
- “Cooper v. Aaron (1958): A Hidden Story of Unanimity and Division,” Journal of Supreme Court History 33 (2008): 89-109.
- “Politics and Law in the Little Rock Crisis, 1954-1957,” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 66 (Summer2007): 145-66.
- “What was Warren Court Antitrust?,” Supreme Court Review 2009 (2009): 347-95.
- “Negotiable Instruments and the Federal Courts in Antebellum American Business,”Business History Review 50 (Winter 1976): 435-56.
- “The Federal Courts, Localism, and the National Economy, 1865-1900,” Business History Review 53 (Autumn 1979): 343-64.
- “The Little Rock Crisis Reconsidered,” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 56 (September 1997): 361-70.
- “Politics, Market Relations, and the Supreme Court,” Reviews in American History 16 (September 1988): 374-9.
- “Federal Authority and State Resistance: A Dilemma of American Federalism,” This Constitution: a Bicentennial Chronicle 11 (1986): 11-7.
- “Localism and Eminent Domain in Early American Economic Development,” Working Papers from the Regional Economic History Research Center 3 (1980): 1-29.