- Medieval Europe
- Religious Movements
- Medieval Cultural History
- Material Culture and Consumption
- Western Civilization to 1648 (HY101)
- Honors Western Civilization to 1648 (HY 105)
- The Crusades (HY 300)
- The Reel Middle Ages (HY 300)
- Peer Mentoring Leadership Seminar (HY 301)
- Monks, Masters, Mystics and Heretics (HY 400)
- Medieval Biography and its Discontents (HY 430)
- The Middle Ages (HY 442)
- Proseminar in Medieval and Early Modern European History (HY 631)
Awards and Honors
- National Alumni Association Outstanding Commitment to Teaching Award (2016)
- The University of Alabama College of Arts and Sciences Leadership Board, Outstanding Commitment to Students Award (2011)
- The University of Alabama Research Advisory Committee Grant (2005; 2010)
- Heckman Research Fellowship, Hill Museum and Manuscript Library (2005)
- D.A.A.D. Research Grant, Munich, Germany (2004)
- Fulbright Fellowship (1997-8)
- Bavarian Cultural Ministry Fellowship (1997-8)
Journal Articles and Essays
- “The Poor Monk and the Proprietors: Observant Reform of Community as Conflict,” Saeculum 66 (2016): 93-110.
- “Introduction,” in Religious Life between Jerusalem, the Desert and the World: Selected Essays of Kaspar Elm, trans. James D. Mixson (Leiden: Brill, 2016): 1-27.
- “Introduction,” in Observant Reform in the Later Middle Ages and Beyond, eds. James D. Mixson and Bert Roest (Leiden: Brill, 2015): 1-20.
- “Observant Reform’s Conceptual Frameworks between Principle and Practice,” in Observant Reform in the Later Middle Ages and Beyond, eds. James D. Mixson and Bert Roest (Leiden: Brill, 2015): 60-84.
- “Religious Life and Religious Orders,” in The Routledge History of Medieval Christianity 1050-1500, ed. R. N. Swanson (London: Routledge, 2015): 45-57.
- “Giovanni Dominici’s Firefly Reconsidered,” in Christianity and Culture in the Middle Ages: A Volume in Honor of John Van Engen, eds. David Mengel and Lisa Wolverton (Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 2014): 387-418.
- “Religious Life and Observant Reform in the Fifteenth Century,” History Compass 11:3 (March, 2013): 201–214.
- “Giovanni Dominici’s Firefly Reconsidered,” in Christianity and Culture in the Middle Ages: Essays to Honor John Van Engen, eds. David Mengel and Lisa Wolverton (Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 2015).
- “Contesting Authority and Community: Models and Practices of Monastic Reform in Late Medieval Central Europe,” Austrian History Yearbook 41 (2010): 30-47.
- “John Nider’s Reformation of Religion,” in Kirchenbild und Spiritualität: Ekklesiologie aus dem Anspruch des mendikantischen Ordensideals, eds. Thomas Prügl and Marianne Schlosser (Schöningh, 2006).