- PhD, The University of Alabama, 2005
- Brazil and the Atlantic World
- Alabama History
- Early U.S. History
- Legal History
- An expansion of earlier work into a book-length manuscript on the topic of southern expatriates in Brazil from 1866 to 1885.
- HY 300: History of Brazil
- HY 312: American South before 1865
- HY 225: Alabama to 1865
- HY 226: Alabama since 1865
- HY 203: American Civilization to 1865
- With Paul M. Pruitt, Jr., “Early Alabama Law and Chancery Practice,” in Red Eagle’s Legacy: Weatherford v. Weatherford, 1846-1852, J. Anthony Paredes and Judith Knight, eds. (Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 2012).
- A Southern Moderate in Radical Times: Henry Washington Hilliard, 1808-1892 (Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 2008).
- A Journey in Brazil: Henry Washington Hilliard and the Brazilian Anti-Slavery Society (Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama School of Law, 2008).
- Commonplace Books of Law: A Selection of Law-Related Notebooks from the Seventeenth Century to the Mid-Twentieth Century, Paul M. Pruitt, Jr. and David I. Durham, eds., with contributions by Tony Allan Freyer and Timothy W. Dixon. (Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama School of Law, 2005).
- With Paul M. Pruitt, Jr., “Sources of Law in the Alabama Territory and the State of Alabama, 1798-1832: A Narrative Bibliography,” in Prestatehood Legal Materials: A Fifty-State Research Guide, Including New York City and the District of Columbia, Volume 1, A-M, Michael Chiorazzi and Marguerite Most, eds. (Binghamton, NY: The Haworth Information Press, 2005).
- “A Call for Regulation of the Profession” and “An Improbable Journey,” in Gilded Age Legal Ethics: Essays on Thomas Goode Jones’ 1887 Code and the Regulation of the Profession, Carol Rice Andrews, David I Durham, and Paul M Pruitt, Jr., eds. (Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama School of Law, 2003).
- “Stephens Croom : A Biographical and Critical Introduction — The Journal of Stephens Croom,” in The Private Life of a New South Lawyer: Stephens Croom’s 1875-1876 Journal, David I. Durham and Paul M. Pruitt, Jr., eds. (Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama School of Law, 2002).
- “Introduction to Wade Keyes and the Montgomery Law School,” in Wade Keyes’ Introductory Lecture to the Montgomery Law School: Legal Education in Mid-Nineteenth Century Alabama, David I. Durham and Paul M. Pruitt, Jr., eds. (Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama School of Law, 2001).