- PhD, Johns Hopkins University, 1975
- History of Surgery
- Medicine, Religion, and Science 1500-1800
- France, the Netherlands, and Early Modern Europe
- Anti-Semitism in Medicine
- Contemporary Business and Journalism
Awards and Honors
- Elizabeth Crahan Fellow in the History of Medicine, and Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellow, The Huntington Library, San Marino, California, Spring, 2002.
- Bankhead Fund Faculty Research Fellowship, 2002.
- Advisory Board, College Program, The New York Times, 1997-2002.
- Vice-President, Southern Association for History of Medicine and Science, 2002-2004.
- Ruth M. Kibbey Award for Outstanding Service, University of Alabama, 2000.
- Instructor’s Manual for Western Civilizations, and Test-Item File for Western Civilizations, 2 vols. with Steven Kreis, et al. (New York: W. W. Norton, 2002).
- “Defending the Honor of French Surgery, 1760-1789,” Proceedings of the Western Society for French History 27 (Boulder, CO: University Press of Colorado, 2001).
- Translator, Worldwide Banking: ABN-AMRO Bank, 1824-1999, by Joh. de Vries et al. (Amsterdam, 1999).
- Encyclopedia of Political Revolutions, 1998 ed., s.v. “Netherlands Revolt (1566-1609).”
- Encyclopedia of Political Revolutions, 1998 ed., s.v. “William the Silent.”
- “Religion and Surgery in Sixteenth Century-France, Proceedings of the Western Society for French History 23 (Boulder, CO: University Press of Colorado, 1996).
- Editor, Adapting to Conditions: War and Society in the Eighteenth Century (Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 1986).
- The Abbey of St. Germain des Pres in the Seventeenth Century (New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1981).
- Selected by the Macmillan Library of World History.