- PhD, Rutgers University, 1996
- Southern history since 1865
- U.S. political history since 1865
- African American history
- History of the South since 1865
- American Political History since 1865
- Alabama History since 1865
- The Civil Rights Movement
- Graduate Proseminar and Seminar on Southern History
- Cold War Dixie: Militarization and Modernization in the American South (Athens, GA: The University of Georgia Press, 2013).
- Making Waves: Female Activists in Twentieth-Century Florida , eds. Jack E. Davis and Kari Frederickson (Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, 2003).
- The Dixiecrat Revolt and the End of the Solid South, 1932-1968 (Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina Press, 2001).