- Gender and Women's History
- Southern History
- MA, The University of Alabama, 2014
- BA, Michigan State University, summa cum laude, 2012
- War and Society
- Civil War
- Spanish-American War
- World War I
- Southern Culture
- Review of A Warring Nation: Honor, Race, and Humiliation in America’s Wars by Bertram Wyatt-Brown, in Southern Historian, Spring 2015.
- My dissertation topic looks at how warfare interrupts the “normal” growing-up process for young American soldiers, how soldiers struggled with this interruption, and how they attempted to recreate normalcy while at war. I follow these relationships from the Civil War, to the Spanish American and Filipino Wars, and finally World War I. I draw heavily from letters sent by soldiers to their parents at home in order to best understand how young soldiers achieved “manhood” at war.