Dr. Stephen Schwab
Adjunct Assistant Professorschwa008@bama.ua.edu
Ph.D., University of Alabama, 2007
- “We’re in It for the Money.” Review of Spies for Hire: The Secret World of Intelligence Outsourcing, by Tim Shorrock. International Journal of Intelligence & Counterintelligence 24 (Spring 2011): 201-5.
- Review of The Least Worst Place: Guantanamo’s First 100 Days, by Karen Greenberg. Journal of Military History 74 (January 2010): 322-3.
- The Enduring Significance of Guantánamo, 1898-2008 (Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 2009).
- “The Worst Covert Action of All,” Review of The Bay of Pigs, by Howard Jones. The International Journal of Intelligence and CounterIntelligence 22 (2008): 188-94.
- “The CIA in Chile,” Review of Hostile Intent: U.S. Covert Operations in Chile, 1964-1974, by Kristian Gustafson. H-Net Reviews, 2008, http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=23107.
- “Walsingham Emerges From the Shadows.” Review of Her Majesty’s Spymaster: Elizabeth I, Sir Francis Walsingham and the Birth of Modern Espionage, by Stephen Budiansky. International Journal of Intelligence & Counterintelligence 19 (Fall 2006): 572-6.
- “The Great Recuperator.” Review of The Great Game: The Myth and Reality of Espionage, by Frederick P. Hitz. International Journal of Intelligence & Counterintelligence 18 (December 2005): 747-50.
- “Resistant to Foreign Influence.” Review of Spies in the Vatican: Espionage & Intrigue from Napoleon to the Holocaust, by David Alvarez. International Journal of Intelligence & Counterintelligence 18 (Spring 2005): 179-82.
- Review of Cloak and Dollar: A History of American Secret Intelligence, by Rhodri Jeffreys-Jones. International Journal of Intelligence & Counterintelligence 16 (Spring 2003): 150.
- “The Role of the Mexican Expeditionary Air Force: Late, Limited, but Symbolically Significant,”The Journal of Military History 66 (October 2002): 1115-40.
- With Edward Milenky, “Latin America and Antarctica,” Current History 83 (February 1983), 52-53, 89-90.
- Book Project – Skullduggery: Studies in Espionage
Awards and Honors
- Department of History Fellowship (2005-2006).
- University of Alabama Graduate Fellowship (2004-2005).
- Editorial Advisory Board, International Journal of Intelligence & Counterintelligence, Fall 2005-Present.
- Albert Burton Moore Memorial Award for Outstanding Graduate Work in History, University of Alabama, 2002.