Dr. Erik Peterson
Ph.D., University of Notre Dame, 2010
Course Website for HY 300-001 - History of Games
- Transatlantic History of Science, especially biology and anthropology in UK, France, Germany, and USA
- Eugenics and Social Darwinism
- The Scientific Concept of Race
- Science and Popular Culture
- Biology Education & Textbooks
- History of Science 1—Antiquity to Newtonianism (HY 115)
- History of Science 2—Gravity to Quarks (HY 116)
- Race/Science (HY 351)
- Epidemics! A History of Medicine (HY 352)
- T-Shirts, Corn Chips, iPhones: A Global History of Technology (HY 300)
- A Global History of Gaming (HY 300)
- The Darwinian Revolution (HY 455)
- The Life Organic: The Theoretical Biology Club and the Birth of Epigenetics (Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, expected 2016)
- with James Bindon (Professor Emeritus of Anthropology), One or Many? An Episodic History of Science & Race Since Christopher Columbus (expected 2019).
- The Tame Magicians: Churchill’s Scientists and the Politics of Queer (expected 2021).
- with Kostas Kampourakis, “Mendel, Mendelism and Education: 150 years since the ‘Versuche’,” Science & Education 24 (1&2) Berlin: Springer, 2015: 1-228. (University of Geneva, Switzerland) DOI: 10.1007/S11191-014-9722-X
Articles & Book Chapters
- “Race and Evolution in Antebellum Alabama: the Polygenist Prehistory We’d Rather Ignore,” in Evolution Education in the American South: Culture, Politics, and Resources in and Around Alabama, eds. W. Evans, C. Lynn, A. Glaze, and L. Reed (Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 2017).
- with Kostas Kampourakis, “The Paradigmatic Mendel at the Sesquicentennial of ‘Versuche über Pflantzen-Hybriden’,” Science & Education 24 (1&2) 2015: 1-8.
- “The Conquest of Vitalism or the Eclipse of Organicism? The 1930s Cambridge Organiser Project and the Social Network of Mid-Twentieth-Century Biology,” The British Journal for the History of Science 47 (2) 2014: 281-304. DOI: 10.1017/S0007087413000435
- “The Excluded Philosophy of Evo-Devo? Revisiting Waddington’s Failed Attempt to Embed Alfred North Whitehead’s ‘Organicism’ in Evolutionary Biology,” History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences 33 (4) 2011: 301-320.
- “William Bateson from Balanoglossus to Materials for the Study of Variation: the Transatlantic Roots of Discontinuity and the (Un)naturalness of Selection,” Journal of the History of Biology 41 (2) 2008: 267–305.
- with Daniel J. McKaughan, “Methodological Naturalism” in New Catholic Encyclopedia (Suppl. 2012-13: Ethics and Philosophy). Robert Fastiggi, et al., eds. (Detroit: Gale-Cengage Learning and the Catholic University of America Press, 2013).
- “Beware the Geno-hype; or, How To Discuss Scientific Epistemology With Those Who Ignore It.” Review of Tales of the Ex-Apes: How We Think About Human Evolution by Jonathan Marks, Science & Education 25 (2016): 691–696, doi:10.1007/s11191-016-9837-3.
- “The Baubles of Biotech; or, That’s the Spirit.” Review of The Gene Jockeys by Nicolas Rasmussen, Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 54 (2015): 124-26.
- Review of The Universe Within, by Neil Shubin. Books & Culture (published online: print: October 2013).
- Review of Mutation: the History of an Idea from Darwin to Genomics, by Elof Axel Carlson. Science & Education (May 2013).
- Review of The Egg and Sperm Race: the Seventeenth-Century Scientists Who Unravelled the Secrets of Sex, Life, and Growth, by Matthew Cobb. Science & Education (2012 / doi: 10.1007/s11191-011-9375-y).
- Review of Evolution: the History of an Idea, 25th Anniversary Edition, by Peter J. Bowler. Science & Education (2011): 557–62.
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Student Advisor Award, University of Alabama (2015)
- Honored Instructor Award, University of Wisconsin – Madison (2011)
- National Science Foundation Dissertation Improvement Grant, SES-0849138 (2009 – 2010)
- University of Notre Dame, Zahm Research Grant (2008)
- Outstanding Graduate Student Teacher Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Notre Dame (2006 – 2007)
- Institute for Scholarship in the Liberal Arts Faculty/Graduate student seminar in theology and science, University of Notre Dame (2006 – 2007)
- Graduate Student Associate, Egenis ESRC Centre for Genomics in Society, Exeter, United Kingdom (2005)